A great way for dad to share the main character spotlight with his kids.
Hello Gaming Library Family!
A term I’ve found consistently associated with men is ‘glory days.’
A quick Google search will tell us that ‘glory days’ is defined as ‘a time in the past that is remembered for great success or happiness.’ In movies or TV it usually refers to the period in the life of the protagonist—if they’re a wistful middle-aged career man—in which they were perhaps the star player of their sports team, celebrated for their achievements, making the most of their potential they once had. Or perhaps it was simply a time of reckless abandon, in which their lives at that point were more adventurous, interesting, and fun; when they were young.
Fortunately, life isn’t TV and movies, and we've found ways to maintain aspects of our glory days as we age. Men now are encouraged to be vulnerable, relieving themselves of some of the stress of being this impossible idea of what ‘a man’ is.
They also allow themselves more freedom now to treat themselves to the childhoods they maybe didn’t get to experience. And research now shows that the views of a man’s relationship with their families, particularly children, has shifted.
"We found that today's dads spend more time, provide more care and are more loving toward their kids than ever before," shares Kevin Shafer, BYU sociology professor and co-author of the study. "Most dads see themselves as playing an equally important role in helping their children as mothers do."
I understand firsthand the feeling of pure joy that comes with being able to relive my childhood (through toys, books or games), what more when you can introduce your childhood to your kids? Everybody deserves that chance to feel like a kid again, and for dads, I feel it’s especially groundbreaking in informing what great parenting can be.
We present to you our top picks for board games for dads to teach their children while feeding their inner child.
These picks employ gameplay that can further strengthen bonds between kid and parent, teach both parent and child how the other party operates emotionally and intellectually, and best of all, let dad and child bring their fantasies to life in forming their own heroic tandems! All titles are available in stores and online at www.gaminglib.com!
- Marvel United (Core Box)
- In Marvel United, players must work together to stop the plans of an evil Supervillain. Red Skull, Ultron, and Taskmaster are attacking the city, each with their own evil scheme for destruction and domination. To stop them, superheroes like Captain America, Iron Man, and Captain Marvel are joining forces. Players will use each hero’s custom deck of powers and abilities, playing off the strengths of one another for added effect, as they try to complete missions and take out the villains before it’s too late. They’ll battle in locations all around the city. In the end, either the city will be saved, or the world will be doomed. In the end, will the combined efforts of these heroes be enough to save the world? Will the Heroes falter in their fight against the nefarious Supervillains?
- Marvel United offers multiple expansions that feature your favorite MCU heroes fighting against corresponding villains: check out Marvel United: Enter the Spider-verse, Rise of the Black Panther, Guardians of the Galaxy Remix, Tales of Asgard, and many more!
- Marvel Champions: The Card Game
- Jump into the Marvel Universe with Marvel Champions: The Card Game, a cooperative Living Card Game® for up to four players! Marvel Champions: The Card Game invites players to embody iconic heroes from the Marvel Universe as they battle to stop infamous villains from enacting their devious schemes. As a Living Card Game®, Marvel Champions is supported with regular releases of new products, including new heroes and scenarios. Each game of Marvel Champions invites you to play as an iconic Marvel hero, complete with their own 40-50 card deck. This Core Set allows four players to team up with their own heroes, and gives you a complete playset of cards right out of the box!
- Marvel Champions: The Card Game also offers multiple expansions, each featuring respective MCU heroes such as Captain America, Ant-Man, Black Widow, Drax, and many more!
- The Wolves
- The Wolves is a pack-building strategy game for anywhere between two and five players. It's survival of the fittest as you compete to build the largest, most dominant pack by claiming territory, recruiting lone wolves, and hunting prey. Establish your pack of wolves' dominance over the course of a moon cycle! Flip terrain tiles matching the terrain where you wish to take your action. These double-sided tiles mean the actions you take this round will set up which terrain types you can act on in the next round. As you take actions to expand your pack's control of each region, you also upgrade your pack's attributes, allowing you to take more aggressive actions as the game goes on. But be careful—expanding too recklessly into enemy terrain may lure members of your pack away. At the end of the game, players tally points based on VP tokens earned in these scoring phases and the highest VP number revealed in each of the six tracks on your player board. The player with the most VP wins!
- Tribes of the Wind
- In Tribes of the Wind, Pollution has covered the ruins of past civilizations. After centuries of exploiting nature, mankind caused a new type of pollution to spread on the whole planet, destroying all forms of life in its wake. Scattered groups of men and women managed to survive in small forests that somehow remained unscathed, hiding in high cities built in the tree’s canopy. They are called the Wind Tribes, for they fly from one place to another, avoiding any contact with pollution. Play as a Guide of one of these tribes, using elemental magic to fight against pollution. Have forests grow, build new cities in the canopy, and secure the future of mankind by using the back of the cards of your opponents to optimize each of your actions. Build a village to safely house your corresponding number of tribe members, and a Temple so as to earn corresponding bonuses. Beware though, as some villages will generate pollution in nearby territories, but they will also grant you very useful effects to help you fulfill your quest. The goal being to make your place a great one to live in! The first Tribe managing to build their 5th village signals the end of the game. The one that earned the most points, depending on villages, temples, objectives, and mitigated pollution, wins the game and is now considered as the best of the Tribes of the Wind.
About Gaming Library
Gaming Library aims to be the go-to resource for board games, providing not only titles that can be enjoyed by families, but also to be enjoyed by friends both newcomers and veterans alike. By pulling from different resources from all over the world, we at Gaming Library curate an impressive collection of games for consumers to choose from, suitable for anybody from casual players to hardcore hobbyists. In doing so, we hope to provide the best means to foster activities that strengthen family ties and friendships, while teaching relevant skills and practical critical thinking that can be applied to your everyday life.